Well, it’s been a while! About a month, I think, but it’s been a busy one! In short, here’s what I’ve been up to:
1. My lovely boyfriend came out to visit me for two weeks from mid-October. We travelled to the coast and spent a few days at the beach at Puerto Vallarta, relaxing a bit, swimming in the sea…we also went horse riding through a forest and waded through some rivers up to a waterfall. And, we lay in a hammock, made our own tortillas and ate the yummiest tacos!
2. From Puerto Vallarta we went to Nayarit for an evening of baby turtle rescuing! They were only a day old and so tiny! It was a bit of a touristy thing, but really interesting and fun – the guide told us all about the rescue programme, how they search the beach every night for eggs and take them to the sanctuary to hatch, and as soon as they do they need to be helped back into the sea, which is what we did.
3. We went to the zoo and met a very friendly giraffe (:
4. Took a day trip to Tequila, enjoyed lots of free samples and bought plenty of souvenirs.
5. At the end of Josh’s two week stay was the Day of the Dead weekend. This was one of the things I’d most looked forward to about coming to Mexico – it’s unlike anything you’d find anywhere else in the world. I’ll write a full post about it soon (hopefully!) but in brief, we went to Tlaquepaque, the artesan district of Guadalajara, to see the altars and street stalls.
6. …And then the essays struck! Apparently, in Mexico it’s possible for the term to be cut two weeks short, meaning deadlines are brought forward and six weeks of work has to be done in a month. It was pretty stressful when ALL my lecturers announced that we had 10 page essays to write, presentations to do and exams to revise for…but now I’ve got about half of it done, it looks like it’s going to be doable!
7. Finally, last weekend I went with some friends to Leon for the International Hot Air Balloon festival. Despite the absolutely horrendous organisation of the company we went with, the festival itself was good and I got to take some cool photos, which was the main reason I wanted to go!
So, that pretty much sums up why I haven’t had much time to blog (or write for the other websites I’ve got article ideas lined up for…oops) but in two weeks time I’ll be back home for Christmas, and back on track. As well as some Mexico-themed posts that have been stored up in my head for the last few weeks, I’ll be writing a lot about my favourite time of year, Christmas!